Monday, July 14, 2014

NYC Streams: Coffee Shops


What makes a coffee shop? We can all agree on the fact that it typically is the coffee that separates the mediocre shops from the hidden gems. The freshness of the beans, the skills of the barista, even the milk selections can make or break the promise of a return visit. Personally, I can seriously appreciate a good cup of joe even though I am by no means a coffee connoisseur, nor even someone who can’t go a day without the coffee fix. For me, coffee has always been a treat; something I look forward to enjoying followed by the rush of jitters I always experience. When I get a bad coffee, I’m seriously disappointed because coffee for me is not an addiction, it’s a pleasure.
Sampling and exploring the different coffee shops around Manhattan has made me realize the many different nuances  one can find within a small coffee joint. From the wooden floors, to the mix-matched seating options, even the type of music playing all attribute to the coffee drinking experience. I’ve always felt most comfortable in shops that give off a homey feel--something with dim lighting, rustic wood paneling, and handpainted coffee cups have always been my vice. I found this comfort inside 71 Irving Place which luckily is not far from where I’m living in Union Square. To get to the shop, one must go down a few steps in the low ceilinged room with a small seating area and a long bar. Besides their assorted coffee and tea beverages, the shop hosts sweet treats including vegan and gluten free options which is always appreciated by every young hipster alike. The clientele is what one might expect, young professionals and college kids, either on their laptops or chatting with friends. I did notice a few older patrons, but even they didn’t appear out of place.
Just look at those homemade tasty cakes!

Another Irving Farm can be found in the center of Grand Central Terminal’s eating concourse. Contrasting with the location on Irving Place, the Grand Central location hosts a circular coffee hub which can be reached by busy travelers in need of a coffee fix from any direction. The interesting round shaped cafe is surrounded by tables and benches while keeping a very open atmosphere. All in all, it felt like the coffee stand stood as the central point in the dining concourse, not very different from the clock in the main terminal, a very interesting juxtaposition.
Who doesn't love rice krispies that size? 
Centrally located for busy travelers. 
A little hole in the wall that can be easy to pass by.



Another Grand Central gem that can be found is Joe’s Cafe, though it is not so quick to find as Irving Farm is. Pushed off to the side down a hallway away from the main dining concourse, Joe’s is a little hole in the wall that doesn’t offer much visually besides a counter for ordering. There isn’t any seating area, which really isn’t necessary in Grand Central when everyone is almost always on the move. The coffee selection was typical, nothing that jumped out at me as being overly impressive. Honestly I think if I was in Grand Central and in need of coffee, I would probably attend Irving Farm over Joe’s simply due to easier accessibility and more eating and seating options. Sometimes, it’s all about convenience.





Though I noticed there are a few Think Coffees around the city, the one I attended was on Bleecker street right north of Houston (would that make is NOHO?). The shop reminded me of 71 Irving Place, being a small joint with personality. The music was eclectic like Irving Place and the dessert options also offered Gluten-free/Vegan alternatives. What I found most unique about Think Coffee was their selection of grilled cheeses which came piping hot with melted cheese oozing out the sides of the toast. Not a bad choice of snack when doing work if I do say so myself.
A hot cup of tea to warm up chilly evenings.  
A nice place to meet up with someone while being centrally located in NoHo
After visiting Think Coffee, I went directly to Caffe Dante for some authentic italian dessert. I was by no means disappointed by my choice--a chocolate souffle, heated up and melting rich chocolate with a scoop of hazelnut gelato on top. The dessert was as sweet and decadent as I hoped as I pretended I was sitting in a far corner of Italy, hidden from the rest of the world. The inside of the cafe was completely empty with all of its patrons sitting at the tables outside on the sidewalk. They all appeared to be Italian, there clearly for its authenticity. The ambiance of the cafe/restaurant was nothing overly impressive though it was nice enough. Caffe Dante should be treasured for its history, having been open since 1915, as well as its strong Italian roots as its been run by the Flotta family for the last 40 years.
This tasted as amazing as it looks.

I’m not sure I’ve ever felt as out of place as I did upon entering Cafe Sabarsky in the Upper East Side one early Saturday morning. After all, it required a metal detector and a bag check to enter and I had a toothpaste stain on my shirt that morning. After entering and trying to blend in, I simply ordered a cappuccino because it was truthfully all I could afford and what I had time for. The coffee was okay, but I wasn’t over impressed by its  flavor. The cakes that lined the wall under exquisite glass covers certainly caught my eye, and at over $9 for a slice, I can only hope are worth the price. The ambiance of the cafe is what most impressed me. From the marble fireplace to the piano to the high arching windows that let in a nice amount of sunlight coming off of the edge of Central Park. The waiters were dressed extremely formally, wearing white button downs and fitted black vests. The clientele, is what I would expect--older professionals and retired folk who have come for breakfast or just to read the newspaper and enjoy the peace and quiet. This is a place I would love to take my mom and share a piece of cake and marvel at the cafe’s fanciness.
So much cake, so little time.


No comments:

Post a Comment