Monday, July 21, 2014

A croissant and a donut walk into a bar.

This morning my roommates and I woke at 5am to go stand in line at Dominique Ansel's Bakery in SoHo for the exclusive and limitedly available FAMOUS cronut. Exclusivity rating: they only make about 300-400 per day and sell out within 2 hours of opening. If you don't know what a cronut is, it is precisely what it sounds like, a donut and croissant hybrid coated in sugar. Dominique's not only invented the cronut, but they also trademarked the name so it's obviously super special. Catch my sarcasm? 

After waiting in line from 6am to when they opened at 8am and being the 5th person in line (if only it were for Beyonce tickets) we finally got our grubby little fingers on the damn dessert. 

And my reaction? Meh. Whaaaaaaaat? I know, I was kind of surprised too because I LOVE croissants. and I especially LOVE donuts. So what's my ish? Truthfully, I think the process of having to wake up at such a god awful hour and wait in line for so long resulted in my having very high expectations. And I mean VERY high. 

Yes, the cronut had a good flavor, and I was surprised that I like the flavor given that July's featured cronut is Cherry Amarreto and I normally hate cherry flavored things, but my issue wasn't in the flavor, it was in the texture I guess? The cronut was much harder and chewier than I expected and I certainly had a hell of a time cutting it with my plastic knife. Somehow I expected buttery, flaky layers that fell apart and melted in my mouth. Is that normal? 

Would I suggest others to follow in my crazy footsteps and make the 6am trek to SoHo and wait in line for 2 hours for a damn donut?! My answer is yes if, you want to experience the craziness that comes from waiting in line for 2 hours at 6am while also having bragging rights for getting to eat the "real and original" cronut. My answer is no if, you think it's going to be the most amazing culinary donut eating experience and you'll do anything to give your taste buds the ride of their life. 

I don't regret doing it. What else is a 21 year old who's living in New York City for the summer supposed to do at 6am on a Monday? Sleeeeeeep?! Pshh. 

And there we have it: The Dominique Ansel Cherry Amarreto cronut in all of it's sugary glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment