Monday, July 14, 2014

NYC Streams: Bakeries


Dessert has always been my favorite part of a meal, so a shop that dedicates its existence to pumping out delicious treats is a place I want to stop by. New York City is home to many famous bakeries and is where many desserts have been born. Deciding to do bakeries as a stream was a no brainer--I was already stopping at every sweet shop I passed by. Through my explorations I loved seeing how each shop was funky and different in their unique ways. They each had their own sense of character, of establishment, and love that vibrated through their sugar sweets and into my heart.
Magnolia Bakery is perhaps New York City’s most infamous bakery and we can all thank Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City. Since Carrie and Miranda were spotted grabbing cupcakes from the store, visitors have been non stop. There are now a few locations scattered around the city, but the original store is still on Bleecker Street. The inside is something straight out of my mother’s childhood--retro 1950’s kitchen decor with adorable mix-matched cake plates, old kitchen-aid mixers, and soft curtains. I had gone there on a rainy friday evening after my roommates were craving their banana pudding and were perfectly willing to prance through the rain to get some. When we got there, I was besides myself with what to order, a typical predicament I have at these types of places. I considered a cupcake since that’s what they’re famous for, but I just wasn’t in a cupcake mood. Then I happened upon a tray of samples--something by the name of magic bars. With one bite I was in heaven and new I had fell into sugary indulgence love. The chewy bar consisted of coconut, walnuts, and caramel all baked within. The toasty flavor of it reminded me of camping as a girl scout. I truly believe Magnolia Bakery is one of those great spots that was ruined by fame. Not to say that their products aren’t as good, but I fear that the tourist attraction it brings is enough to push New Yorkers away from the excitement and excessively long lines. Or you can be like me and go on a Friday night in the pouring rain where it can be just you and the delicious magic bar.

Proportion comparison.
We all know that when it comes to cupcakes, there are regular sized cupcakes, there are jumbo sized cupcakes, and then there are miniature sized cupcakes. Well Baked by Melissa sells only miniature miniature cupcakes. They are approximately the size of my thumb and that is not an exaggeration. Baked by Melissa can be found all over the city, so it’s quite possible someone might pass by, see the itty bitty bites in their glass display case, and feel the need to indulge in the $1.00 per cupcake offering. Or at least that’s how it happened for me. What's great about this place is the fact that their cupcakes are so small and they provide so many interesting flavor combinations that one can sample and try different ones without feeling like you’ve entered a cupcake coma. Awesome flavors include “pink velvet”and “smores” among many others. While they don’t sell anything besides their signature small cupcakes, Baked by Melissa is a great spot to easily pop into for a small treat that won't break the bank or make you feel too guilty for treating yourself.


Established in 1927, you could say that Zaro’s Bakery has made a namesake for itself. Though it hasn’t branched outside of the big apple (unless you count Newark Penn Station) the italian bakery can be found throughout the city for all your sweets and bread needs. When I went to check out the store in Grand Central Terminal, I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to try, but I settled on a giant rainbow sprinkled cookie. The cookie was almost the size of my face and tasted like a shortbread type cookie. It was simple, not exotic, and very italian traditional. I like visiting Zaro’s because I could feel the family history of the recipes and strong influence of New York culture. This place is distinctly New York and wouldn’t fit in anywhere else.

Since coming to New York, I’ve been on the hunt for an authentic Jewish bakery. Where I am from, we don’t have any Jewish bakeries, and I thought I would have to travel to Brooklyn to get the real deal. Lucky for me, I happened to find a kosher spot not far from where I’m staying in Union Square. In the East Village, there lives Moishe’s Bake Shop. From the outside, the store is some what grungy, with an overly outdated sign and graffiti splattered across the door and windows. When I entered, the shop was small and dingy with two long cases filled with all different cookies and breads. Everything about the shop was all business and they certainly weren’t about creating an ambiance. I ordered a quarter pound of assorted cookies and two hamentashen that were the size of my palm. The bakery is so old fashioned, it maintain cheap prices and only accepts cash. This place certainly doesn’t maintain any sort of outwardly attractiveness. Passersby most likely wouldn’t give it a second glance when surrounded by so many other flashy stores and eateries. Moishe’s is truly a kosher gem, offering authentic treats while staying affordable and traditional.
Don't be fooled by its unattractive outward appearance. 
They’re famous for the invention of the cronut (croissant and donut hybrid), and while tourists and New Yorkers flock to the bakery in order to line up an hour before opening in hopes of getting the coveted cronut, which sells out almost immediately each day, Dominique Ansel Bakery on Spring Street in SoHo is a sophisticated bakery offering many exotic treats. The shop was long and narrow and provided an adorable outdoor patio for sipping coffee and nibbling on sweet treats. Besides their french baked goods, Dominique's also offers soups and sandwiches for more a lunchtime fare. When I came to the bakery at 12 pm on a Tuesday, the store was bustling with customers. I knew I was clearly too late to snag a cronut, only the early birds get that advantage, and sadly I was too early for Dominique’s other unique offering--their cookie shot which is a homemade shot glass shaped chocolate chip cookie filled with milk, so I decided on a flourless chocolate cookie and exquisite cream puff that was filled with a sweet honey cream and topped with white chocolate and a lavender glaze. Both were amazing and not overly expensive. I would love to return for a sandwich and enjoy their private patio. I might even be crazy enough to get there at 7 am for a cronut. Hey, you only live once.
How can I choose just one?

A little piece of Paris in Manhattan.

I honestly have no way to describe the bakery branch off of Momofuku than to simply call it cool. Milk Bar, with six locations in NYC and one in Toronto, offers treats reminiscent of that grandmother who knew how to make super kooky, but super delicious treats. Eating the goods at Milk Bar makes me want to sit at home on a saturday morning in pajamas watching cartoons until noon, especially after tasting their famous cereal milk soft serve which weirdly tastes just like the sweetened milk left over after a bowl of frosted flakes. Other goods there include crack pie which apparently is so good and addicting its scary, and their cookies which are super buttery and delicious. My favorite cookie is by far the compost which is made with coffee grounds, crushed potato chips, sprinkles, and pretzels among other ingredients. The best part about Milk Bar is that they are not shy about sharing their secret recipes and include many of them on their website for free as well as in their cookbook. They even hold baking classes though they are on the pricey side. Overall, Momofuku Milk Bar is young and hip, but offers funky treats that overloaded with butter, sugar, and all the best ingredients.
A quirky cool chalkboard to display their menu. 
They even sell mixes of their cookies for lazy bakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment